The caring touch of massage during pregnancy can help you experience your changing body in a special way. Massage can become that relaxing, quiet time for you, when so much of your attention is focused on your baby. A soothing massage can relieve physical and emotional tension, help you sleep better, and boost your energy level. Massage during your pregnancy will loosen tight muscles and calm the nervous system.
It is a healthy way to reduce stress and promote overall wellness.
- Massage relieves many of the normal discomforts experienced during pregnancy, such as backaches, stiff neck, leg cramps, headaches and edema (or swelling).
- In addition, massage for pregnant women reduces stress on weight-bearing joints, encourages blood and lymph circulation, helps to relax nervous tension (which aids in better sleep) and can help relieve depression or anxiety caused by hormonal changes.
A postnatal massage will help:
- To ease sore spots and relax muscle tension. The whole process of childbirth has been a strain on your body, particularly your abdomen, lower back and hips. Your upper back might also be sore if you are breastfeeding and not using a suitable position.
- Increase the flow of blood and oxygen to your muscles, getting rid of the toxins.
- You feel relaxed. Massage encourages the body to release endorphins – the natural pain killers and feel good hormones secreted by the brain.
- Your body to release oxytocin. Oxytocin triggers the letdown reflex which releases milk from your breast. This means that you might leak breastmilk during your massage. A soft and gentle breast massage will help open blocked ducts, loosen clumps or hardened areas, and reduce the risk of mastitis.
- Speed up recovery from a caesarean section if you’ve had one. Although you need to stay clear of your wound as long as it hasn’t healed, gentle massage to the area thereafter will increase blood supply and help with internal healing.
- Improve well-being and immunity by stimulating lymph flow.
- You cope with the baby blues and postnatal depression. Experts say that a massage is an excellent stress buster and mood elevator.
Overall an excellent experience for releasing tension in the muscles and for a feeling of general relaxation and wellbeing.